Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Student Books with a Classic Story Plot


A couple of weeks ago I read The Three Little Pigs story from a classic fairy tale book that I have in my classroom. My students love these stories and are familiar with most of them, but after reading this story everyone seemed to have their own ideas for changing it. We decided that it would be fun to have everyone write their own version of The Three Little Pigs story. 


I already had the books ready to go. Some time ago I had a parent fold and staple three sheets of paper. These make great little books. I still had a class set left, so I pulled them out and everyone got right to work. Well almost, student actually created their organizer first. I wanted them to have a plan for their writing.

The assignment was that students were to create their own version of The Three Little Pigs. They could use whatever characters they wanted, but the plot had to basically be the same. They had to have a title, author/illustrator, and illustration for the front cover. They had to have a topic sentence page. They had to have a first, next, then and finally page. Then they had to have a concluding sentence page. The pages all had to have illustrations.

Students went to work on their books and took it very seriously. I gave them two writing times and then they continued with it on their own as they finished other work. The end result was amazing. I wish I could share them all with you. We had The Three Little Chicks, The Three Little Vampires, The Three Little Chinchillas, The Three Little Kittens, The Three Ponies, and many more.

These books are now displayed on the ledge of my classroom whiteboard and we have been reading each one. My students ask me to read the books as soon as we get to the carpet. As we go through them students are choosing to go back and add to their book. Some students only wrote their first name, so they want to add their last name. Some students are adding a synopsis to the back of their book. Some students are wanting to go back and add more writing or pictures. It is crazy the things that they are coming up with. They are already asking to write their next book. Amazing!!!


Please feel free to visit Anna Navarre's TpT Store.

You can follow my store to get notifications of FREEBIES and new postings.

No comments:

Post a Comment