Monday, March 30, 2015

Reusable Write and Wipe Pockets

Those who know me, know that I am not a big fan of worksheets. I would much rather have students have hands on experience, but when I do use worksheets I like to be able to use them over and over again. I guess you could say that I like my worksheets to become activities vs just filling in some answers and turning it in.

I have always used sheet protectors as a way of reusing worksheets, but for the last couple of years I have used the Reusable Write and Wipe Pockets from Lakeshore Teaching Supply. I LOVE them! Everyone in my class has one. I put the pockets on my classroom supply list at the beginning of the year. Most of my students brought one in and some even brought in extras, so I had enough for everyone. The year before I had to buy a set. It was the beginning of the year, so they were half price, which wasn't too bad, plus they are worth it.

The purchased pocket comes with some practice sheets, such as handwriting, math, a clock, and probably a couple of others. I took a picture of some of the pages my students have in their pockets right now. We have a number line. Students put this in their pocket and use a dry-eraser to show their work. Then they erase it when they are done. We have a fact family page. Students use fact family triangles to create their fact families. We have the place value page in which student either draw cubes and rods (sticks and dots) or they use manipulative to show their work. We have a clock, which is part of our spiral review right now, especially since I have a couple of new students. We also have a game board. We have been playing this game whole group. As I read a question students are able to write their answer somewhere on their board before I give the answer.

As you can see I have lots of uses for this pocket. There are also three other pages that my students have in their pockets right now. They have a the scales in which I have students write numbers/equations to determine if the sides are equal. They have a roll three page in which students practice adding three numbers. They also have a basic math page in which students practice their math facts.

These pockets are really handy and save me lots of time. The draw back is, of course, the dry-erase markers. I ask parents for these at the beginning of the year and at Open House, which gives me a pretty good supply. Other than that I try to purchase extras at the Back to School sales and from the Dollar Store. It works out and again it is worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment