Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Word Family Roll and Write

Today I needed a phonics activity for "au" and "aw," so I decided to use my Word Family Roll and Write activity. My students enjoy it, so I thought it would be perfect for our phonics practice. Since the packet didn't have these specific vowel teams I had to use the blank page.

I made the copies and forgot to write the word in the boxes ahead of time. This blunder ended up being a blessing. I had my students choose three "au" words and three "aw" words from our word sort page, which has the words we have been using this week. They wrote the words in pencil under the "read" column. Then I had them use a highlighter to write the words under the trace column. I told them that they had to write very neatly, because other students would be having to read their words. While my students were writing I passed out the dice.

Once students finished their writing I had them put their words in their plastic pockets (sheet protectors). They rolled their die, read the corresponding word, traced the word with whiteboard makers and then wrote the word again. As they finished with their page I had them trade pockets with someone else at their table group. It was a fun way for them to practice their words and kept them engaged. It also allowed me time to walk around the classroom and spot check students on the decoding of these words.



My Word Family Roll and Write is available for purchase if you are interested. It is actually a pretty extensive set. It includes 65 different word families and the blank pages. 


You can find this product at my TpT Store:



 


No comments:

Post a Comment