Thursday, December 4, 2014

Holiday's in the Classroom

The three weeks between Thanksgiving and winter break tend to be a little crazy in the classroom. The kids start getting excited and things are just a little off. Since there never seems to be a way to get everyone back on track for those three weeks, I like to spend this time talking about different holidays. I focus on Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, and Christmas. I share the history and traditions of each one with my students. They really seem to enjoy this.

I usually begin each unit by having students view four posters with pictures on them. There is one for food, one for traditions, one for history, and one for symbols. I place a poster at each table group and students discuss what they know and what they want to know. Then they rotate to another poster. 

The next thing I do is give a brief history of the holiday that we are focusing on. I first do this orally, maybe with a picture or two. Later I read books to provide more information or I show a video. 


As we go through each unit I usually do an art project or two. For Kwanzaa, we do a Kwanzaa flag and/or a Kwanzaa mat. During our Hanukkah unit, we paint a dreidel picture and sprinkle glitter on the symbols. For Christmas, the art project is usually some kind of wreath. I usually use tissue paper, but this year I tried tear art.





During the unit, I provide students with various worksheets and activities. My students love when we are discussing Hanukkah and they get to play the dreidel game and sing the dreidel song. When we are learning about Kwanzaa they enjoy playing a Kwanzaa symbol-matching game that I made. I use it as a center activity. It is a fun way to reinforce some of what students have learned about Kwanzaa.




This Kwanzaa Symbol Matching Game is a freebie that is available at my TpT Store.


I also have a Hanukkah themed learning packet that you might be interested in checking out. 



I hope that I have given you some ideas for teaching holidays in the classroom. It is a fun time of the year and I think that teaching students about different holidays is a nice way to enjoy the season with them.


Anna Navarre's TpT Store 






No comments:

Post a Comment