Thursday, September 12, 2013

Descriptive Language Games

I have found that once my students are feeling comfortable with writing simple sentences, that it is a process to have them begin adding more detail to these sentences. They can usually write more, but these extra sentences are still usually pretty basic. I of course give direct instruction on what adjectives are and how to use them in their writing, but it is still difficult for them to begin using these words in their writing. I usually have to ask them to go back and underline these words in red, or to add some of these words. 

I think the main issue is that students don't purposely speak with adjectives, and are definitely not aware if and when they are using them. I created a couple games to help with this language development and awareness. Student play the Dog Describing Game and the Bear Describing Game to verbally practice building sentences using descriptive language. It is a fun way for them to practice and to be more aware of the use of adjectives. Please feel free to visit my TPT Store if you are interested in checking out these products.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment