Thursday, December 17, 2015

Christmas Tree Sight Word Swat

I pulled out this large math whiteboard this morning and decided to draw a Christmas tree and turn it into a fun game using sight words that some of my struggling students are still having trouble reading/spelling. It was a bigger hit than I thought.

I drew the tree and added the words. Then I pulled my students' number sticks and had them come up and swat the word that I called out. I had three mini fly swatters, so I actually had three students come up at a time. This was good for supporting students who didn't really know where the word was. I had enough words on the board to give everyone a chance.

After we finished swatting the words I decided to push the activity a little bit further and have students come up and circle a word that I called out. I gave my students a choice of colored markers and told them that we were making Christmas bulbs, even though some of the bulbs wouldn't actually be on the tree. They enjoyed this activity as well.


I had also planned to have students point to the words using a laser pen, but we ran out of time. I plan on doing it tomorrow along with some more swatting.

This was such a fun activity. It is amazing how random ideas can sometimes be some of the best ideas. 

I hope that you are planning some fun Christmas activities for your classroom. Here are some other ideas that you may enjoy. Click on the links to see these blog posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment