Saturday, December 19, 2015

Phonics Learning Puzzles


Many years ago, too many to count, I made these puzzles to use as one of my center activities on the last day before winter break, which I have used ever since. We have a fun day with pizza, pajamas, and lots of fun activities, so these puzzles are perfect. I like that the students have fun, but still continue to learn with a festive twist.

I used a Christmas theme, but these puzzles could, of course, be done using any theme you want. They are super easy to make and very relaxing if you like to color. If you don't like to color or don't have the time then you could always give the job to someone else.

I believe when I made my puzzles I found a website that had Christmas coloring pages and then I just copied them onto cardstock. Sorry, but since it was so long ago, I no longer remember the website. I have also used pages from a coloring book, which are great for other themes such as superheroes and other trendy themes. The drawback is that they are double sided and the paper is much thinner. You could try to copy them, but sometimes the shading of the coloring book paper makes them difficult to photocopy.

After you copy and color your pages then you can write the words that you want to use on them. I recommend sticking to one word family per puzzle and writing the words with one colored marker. This makes it easier to sort the puzzles when the pieces get mixed up.

Once you have finished getting the puzzles ready you can laminate them for durability. Cut the puzzle up any way you want, but don't make the pieces too small. I think mine are about 9 or 10 pieces. You would think that this would be too easy, but since many kids today don't spend much time doing puzzles it can still be a challenge for younger students. As you finish cutting apart each puzzle you can store them in zip-loc bags. Then they are ready for students to use.

Students love to work together on these puzzles and focus on completing them, but it is easy for them to forget to read the words as they are putting the puzzle together and/or when the puzzle is finished. Fortunately, students want to share the puzzle with you, so this is a good time for you to have them read the words to you.

I hope that you enjoy this learning puzzle activity. 
Merry Christmas! Anna


Please feel free to visit Anna Navarre's TpT Store for K-2 teaching resources.


No comments:

Post a Comment