Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Insect Exploration Table

It is insect time! I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to fit this unit into my schedule this year, which would have been disappointing. My students always enjoy it, especially since I bring in live critters. Although, I did conserve in this area a bit this year.

One thing that I do when I teach insects is to have my exploration table set up. This year the only live critters I have are crickets and ladybugs. I usually include meal worms and then I normally borrow ants and butterflies from my friend, but she has retired, so I don't have those this year. Along with the live insects, I have insect cards, books, puzzles, plastic insects, insects encased in glass, and other activities. I like to give my students a chance to visit this area everyday, even if it is only for 5 minutes. It is fun to listen to them as they make their observations and do the activities.

We have 1-1 iPads in our classroom and our research project for the next couple of weeks is insects. Bringing the realia into the classroom really helps to build the students' interest and to direct their research. Besides using the exploration table my students use books, videos, Brainpop Jr. and information they have learned from class for their research. They also use my classroom webpage. They do this by clicking on appropriate links that I have set up for them.



I must admit setting up an exploration table in the classroom does take some work, but after I get it all set up I always feel that it is worth it. 



Please feel free to visit Anna Navarre's TpT Store





No comments:

Post a Comment