Sunday, May 10, 2015

I Spy Fruity Addition



My class enjoys playing the I Spy Fruity Addition game. I usually have them play in small groups of about 5-6 students, but this week they played the game with a partner. It is funny how they make themselves so comfortable as they play this game.

This game is a fun and easy way for students to practice their addition facts to 20. It can actually be used for subtraction as well as long as students understand that they need to subtract the lower number from the larger number.

The game is played by having students find the combination of cards that equal the sum that another player calls out. The game is very easy to prep and play. The students seem to get the hang of it quickly and work to challenge each other.

The thing I like most about this game is that it is a good brain break activity. There are days when my students are tired of listening/sitting and need to be involved in something more interactive. I have four sets of cards prepped and bagged (not laminated). I divide the class into four groups, give each group a set of cards, and let them play. I gave instructions of how to play the game the first 1-2 times, but after that they were on their own. It does get a little loud, but students are on task, learning, and having fun.
  



The I Spy Fruity Addition Game is available at my TpT Store if you are interested.



No comments:

Post a Comment