Monday, January 26, 2015

Penguin Art

This is a penguin art project that we did last week. I've actually been doing it for years and the kids always seem to enjoy it. It does take some prep work, but I usually have parent volunteers who are willing to help from home do this prep for me. I have one parent do the black pieces and another do the orange pieces. I then have another parent put all of the pieces together in individual Zip-loc bags.

As we do the activity I give the students a blue piece of paper and their bag of penguin pieces. We work together, gluing each of the pieces onto the paper. Students give their penguin personality by deciding how they want the pieces to go. After the penguin has been assembled I give students a small piece of black paper and a small piece of white paper. They use these pieces for the eyes. I used to use googly eyes, which I love, but by the end of the year when I went to put these pages in the memory books, the eyes were falling off, so I gave up on that idea. 

Once students finished their penguins I had them use a white crayon to draw snowflakes and the snow. This adds an extra cute touch and again helps to make each penguin art project unique. 

I don't have a template for you to use for this project, so I thought I would just take a picture of the pieces that I have parents cut. I'm sure you can figure out what you need from this sample.




I have some penguin resources that you might be interested in as you teach about penguins. Please feel free to click on the links and check them out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment