Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Easy Birthday Reminder

You wouldn't think that it would be difficult to remember students birthdays. Most teacher's just write the birthdays in on their planner. Those who really got it together might even have the dates in their digital calendars set with reminders of students' birthdays. Well, even though those are helpful, I still have to find the time to get out my birthday bookmarkers, stickers, and the birthday book bag. It just seems to take that one extra minute that I don't have.

This year I have become more organized with birthdays. At the beginning of the year I listed all of my students' birthdays on the birthday chart. After all of these years I still love having the birthday chart up. Then I used a paperclip to clip a bookmarker and birthday sticker together. I wrote students' names and birthdays on a sticky and then paperclipped all of the birthdays for each month together. I also made a pocket out of construction paper. Now, at the beginning of the month I pull out the clipped birthdays for that month and put them in the pocket. I stick the sticky on the front of the pocket, so I don't even need to look at the chart. On the student's birthday I just pull out one of the clipped bookmarker and sticker sets and get out my birthday book bag. Then I'm all set.

I don't do much with birthdays, because we don't really have the time. Also, with health concerns students aren't allowed to bring in special food treats, but they can bring in something else like a party favor or a classroom book. Anyways, as I mentioned I don't do much. I usually just call the birthday student up in front of the class and present them with their special birthday things. Then we sing Happy Birthday. The students seem to enjoy this and it is a simple enough recognition that doesn't make things too crazy. My students are always aware of whose birthday is coming up. They look at the birthday chart that is up in the classroom and also we add birthdays to our classroom calendar at the beginning of the month.

Yes, I realize this post would have probably been more helpful at the beginning of the year, but I didn't think about it until last week when I went to pull out the birthdays for the new month. Well, hopefully you will still find it a useful idea, especially if you have a non-traditional school year.



Birthday Bookmarkers and Certificates


No comments:

Post a Comment