Friday, October 10, 2014

Spider Web Art Project

This Spider web art project was quick and easy. My students really enjoyed it. The spider webs were done on black paper. We used white paint and a few marbles. Students each had a chance to roll the marbles around in a small tub to make their web. I wrote their name on the back of their paper with a white crayon.

Making the spiders for the webs was done as a whole group project. I had pre-cut two pieces of paper for each student. One piece was a 5"x 6" piece of paper, which was for the head/chest and the abdomen. The other piece was a 2 1/2"x 4" piece of paper, which was for the legs. 

I also had pattern pieces made up for students to use to trace the spider parts. I had 15 head pattern pieces and 15 abdomen pattern pieces for my class of 26. I also had them labeled, so students could make sure they were tracing the correct parts. The students shared the pieces as they traced the parts they needed. 

After students cut apart the body pieces, they glued them together. Then they cut 8 strips for the spider's legs. We glued the spider legs onto the abdomen, which isn't where they go, but we went with it anyways. One student did try to make his more anatomically correct, which was cute too, but a little squished. Students also drew eyes on the spider and some students even used scrap paper or drew the spinneret.



I love that each spider was unique. My students were all very proud of their work, which I of course displayed in the classroom. 

If you haven't read my Spider Diagram blog post, you might want to check it out. I have a huge spider diagram that I use to help students learn about spiders. 



No comments:

Post a Comment