Thursday, October 2, 2014

Apple Art Project



It's apple time! My class is having fun learning about apples. We of course are learning lots of apple facts. We also did our apple tasting and used our five senses to come up with descriptive words for our writing. One other thing we did was this apple art project. I thought I would share it with you. I have actually been doing this project for years. I'm sure I got the idea from my kinder friends when I first started teaching, but it has been so long that I'm not quite sure who gave it to me. Anyways, I like it enough to keep using it year after year.

Here is what I did. I had all of the pieces of paper ready in advance and then passed them out while the students were at recess. This worked really well. When the students came I read a book about apples before we started the activity. Then I had them go to their seat and get out scissors, crayons, and a glue stick.

As we did this art project together we discussed each piece of the apple. I first had students take a tan piece of paper and tear the edges, rather than cut them, to make the apple core. Students glued that piece on. Then we did the apple skin. I had students trim all 4 corners off of both pieces and glue them on. The next thing we did was tear a small piece of brown paper for the stem. I had students lift the top part of the apple to glue the stem under the skin. Then I had students draw the seeds.

Our final step was the labeling of the apple parts. I had students take one piece of yellow paper, fold it in half, and then fold it in half again. They were able to open it up and see the lines to cut the paper into equal parts. We then labeled the apple together, again discussing the parts as we went.

It is a pretty simple project, but it provides students with a hands-on approach to learning apple parts. I hope that this motivates you to try it. Here is a list of pieces of paper with an approximate size that each student will need for this project.
- 1 sheet of green paper (6"x9")
- 1 piece of tan paper (3"x4")
- 1 small brown paper (2"x2")
- 1 piece of yellow paper (2"x4")
- 2 pieces of red paper (2"x3")



You might be interested in this Apples, Apples, Apples product that I have available at my TPT Store. It includes a poem, an activity page with the stages of an apple, and a reader. 




You might also be interested in the apple story video that I have made available on YouTube. It is an adapted version of the Little Red House with No Doors and No Windows and a Star Inside. Click the link to view it!



Have fun teaching about apples. This is such a wonderful way to encourage student learning. 




No comments:

Post a Comment