Sunday, May 4, 2014

Watermelon Math Plates

As I was doing some spring cleaning I found my Watermelon Math Plates.These are plates that I like using as we get closer to summer and the end of the year. I have had these plates for several years and have used them in different ways.

When I taught kindergarten I mainly used them for number recognition and counting. I provided students with number cards. Then they  placed the correct number of black beans on each watermelon plate to correspond with that number.

When I moved to first grade I still used the plates for some number recognition and counting of higher numbers, but it is really too many beans. I normally use the watermelon plates for addition and subtraction practice. I give students equations and they solve the problem using the beans to show their work. They enjoy the novelty of it.

The Watermelon Math Plates are easy to make. I just cut a paper plate in half and paint it with red and green tempra paint. I have about 20 plates. I place them at my math center, with black beans, and the cards that I want students working on. This is a very easy, fun, and inexpensive math center idea. I hope that you enjoy it.

Warning: Your class will probably be asking for a Watermelon Day!


Please feel free to visit my teacher's store.
Tpt Store
Teacher's Notebook Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment