Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Classroom Word Wall

I like having a classroom word wall that matches the theme of our school reading program. Since this year our theme is outer space, I needed to create a new word wall. I think it is very helpful to have a word wall in the classroom. It is a resource that my students have always used. I actually put my word wall up at the beginning of the year with all of the words at once so that the words are available for my first graders right away. Because I don't put the words up one at a time, it is especially important that students become familiar with which words are there right away. At the beginning of the year I like to use the word wall as a center in which student use the words to play word games. I also like to make reading the words on the word wall part of our morning routine.

Last year, I used the Sports Theme Word Wall. I liked using the same format for my Space Word Wall, because it made replacing the letters and words very easy. If you don't get to use a color printer at work then printing the cards might be a concern. Money saving tip: order your ink online! I buy my ink off of ebay and pay somewhere around $15 for a set of 14 (prices vary). Once I use the cartridges I recycle them at Staples for $2 each in rewards money. You do the math. Yep, I actually make money, which can only be spent at Staples, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for me. One catch to the Staples reward is that you had to have spent $30 on ink in the last 180 days in order to get the $2 on your recyled ink cartridge.

My word walls are available at my TPT Store if you are interested in checking them out.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Sports-Theme-Word-Wall-Words-279134

 

No comments:

Post a Comment