Tuesday, June 25, 2013

It's Back to School Time


The school year is almost ready to start. It is funny how teachers say, “I’m going back to school.” Instead of “I’m going back to work.” It makes sense though, right? Well, I don’t actually go back until mid-August, but I've of course been thinking about it. I know how important it is to start the year off right, making sure students are clear about rules and expectations. I would say getting a good grip on this from the start is key to having a successful school year. Sure, we have to go back and revisit rules and expectations, especially after a long weekend or holiday break, but laying that foundation in the beginning is so important. 

I use several resources to teach students about rules, but I have a new one that I actually just posted in my Teacher’s Store. It is a resource called, It's Nice to Be Back at School - School Rule Book. This is a "bee" themed book that helps students to think about school rules and what their behavior should look like. It also includes posters that reinforce student learning.

Students use the 11-page booklet to learn a school rule and then draw a picture to show what that looks like. Focusing on a couple of rules a day, and then revisiting them again the next day before focusing on other rules is super helpful. I also like students to keep these booklets in a folder for a while rather than take them home right away. This way I can have students take their booklets out and we can review rules again as needed. 

There are nine posters that I use with the book. I post them in a location that is easily visible to students. This serves as a good reminder of what they have been learning. Students like playing teacher, so having one student use a pointer stick and point to the rules as students chant them is a fun way to review the rules. 
If you are interested in this resource you can purchase it from my Teachers Pay Teachers Store. You can also check out other resources that I have available for teaching classroom rules.

Clickable Links:



Classroom rules are definitely important for overall behavior in the classroom, but students also need to learn how to follow rules during an activity. I like to start the year off with a "Getting to Know You" activity. It is a resource that I use to help students begin to feel comfortable with each other, while at the same time teaching and reinforcing behavior that is expected during fun and engaging activities. I definitely want to avoid the "class gone wild" look. 

The activity I choose is played in a way that is similar to "Stop the Music," but it is done with my set of Back to School Getting to Know You Cards. Students move around the classroom to music and when the music stops they stop and ask a partner the questions on the card. I like this activity because I do a lot of partner shares and if students don't begin to feel comfortable with each other right away and learn some ground rules then it makes it more difficult later.   

As the music plays, I make sure to slow students down if they are running: I redirect them to someone new if they keep going to the same person; I remind them that they need to be on task; I also remind them of any other class rules that are needed. If students are not following the rules then I tap them out. They learn to understand that being "tapped out" means that they are removed from the activity for one round to think about expected behavior. 

There are only two pages in the packet with four cards to a page. You can use both cards or just one card can be used. Basically, students are being asked the same questions as they move from partner to partner. This format works well for struggling readers because they already know what the card says. It also works well for shy students because they already know what they are going to be asked.


This packet is a super good deal for only $1.00. The cards are in color as seen in the picture, but you could print them in grayscale if you wanted. 

The cards are available at my TPT Store.

There are lots of resources and ideas for teaching students rules and also getting to know you activities, but I thought I would share my bit. The message is not really what resources you use, but rather that you be prepared and set yourself up for an amazing school year. Good luck to you all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment