Thursday, November 6, 2014

Gobble, Gobble Turkey Art

I'm really trying to share some of my favorite seasonal activities as I do them in the classroom. This turkey art project is one that is at the top of my list. Getting the project ready is a bit of work because all of the turkey pieces need to be cut. It helps if you can recruit a parent helper. But, if you really want kids to be creative you could just give them pieces of paper and let them create their own turkey figure.

Materials needed:
- brown, tan, red, yellow, orange, and black construction paper
- markers
- aluminum foil
- coffee filters
- masking tape
- spray bottle
- glue
- hole punch

Steps for Turkey Art:
1. Prep all the turkey pieces and put complete sets in individual bags for students (see the bottom of this page for a picture of the turkey pieces). You will want to prep sheets of aluminum foil and attach a piece of masking tape to each one. You will also need to get the spray bottles ready.

2. Supply students with foil, markers, and a coffee filter. Have them write their name on the masking tape with a pencil before they get started. Have students flatten the coffee filter. Then have them find the center of the coffee filter and use different colors to make triangles. Instruct students not to use black. This color overpowers the other colors and can ruin their project. Have them completely color in each triangle.


3. Have students continue around the coffee filter until it is completely colored with bright vibrant colors. I use this vocabulary because some students just try to color in the triangles lightly leaving lots of white showing.


4. Once the coffee filter is completely colored in it is time to spray the filter. Have students lightly spray all around the filter making sure that all spots are sprayed, but not soaked.



5. Set the filter out to dry. It usually takes overnight for them to dry, so this basically becomes a two-day project. It works out though because it is really two different art activities.



6. On the second day, after the filters are dry, attach the masking tape with students' names on them to one side of the turkey feathers. Pass out the bag of turkey pieces and have students assemble their turkeys. Then have them glue the turkey onto the feathers. After the turkeys are completely finished I glue them onto another sheet of paper. I usually do this myself allowing the turkeys to dry a bit first and remembering to write names on the back of the paper. If you don't want to bother with it you could just have your students do it themselves.



I'm sorry that I couldn't provide an actual pattern for this project, but it is pretty simple. Really the only thing you need to watch for is that you make it proportionate to the feathers (filter art).

I hope that you enjoy this project. As I already mentioned, this is one of my seasonal favorites. I think I like it so much because of the vibrant colors and because it seems kind of like a science experiment as colors get sprayed and my students observe what happens.

Happy Thanksgiving!




Please feel free to visit my teacher's store. 

TpT Store 


















No comments:

Post a Comment