Saturday, August 23, 2014

Starfall Classroom Resources

If you are looking for good classroom resources, these Starfall books are great. I began using these resources shortly after I began teaching 14 years ago. At the time I was teaching kindergarten. These journals are perfect for this grade level. The books have larger lines and a place for a picture. I teach first grade now and have continued to use these journals. They are still great for the beginning of the year and for quick writes. One of my teacher friends, who is retired now, used to use these journals as a memory book. She would take a picture of a special activity and then have students write about it.

There are two different levels of the Reading and Writing journal. The first level is really more of a phonics workbook. I love using these book for independent seat work. I especially love this first one. Students who have a pretty good beginning  foundation of phonics can use this without much support, or a lot of times can get support from another student. Most of my students don't get to the level II book, not because it is too hard, but more because of time. Those students who get to the second book are those students who are truly ready for it, which is perfect. It isn't necessarily harder, but it does focus more on writing to a prompt, and it is just better for students to be ready for it.

When I first began using these resources I think they were free or practically free. They are still fairly inexpensive considering their value. The current price for the journal varies depending on how many you buy, but it is 1-19 for $1.00 each and 20+ for $0.79 each. The workbooks are 1-19 $1.95 each and 20+ for $1.00 each. One thing to be careful of is to make sure you order the correct font. There are a couple to choose from.

The Starfall website is always changing and has lots of resources, so even if you don't like the books you still might want to check it out. Here is the link to the order form http://order.starfall.org/k/shop2/index.html .This is the link to the Starfall download center where you could actually download or view pages that are from the book http://www.starfall.com/n/N-info/download.htm . Here is the link to the actual Starfall website http://www.starfall.com/ . I hope that you enjoy these resources as much as I do!

If you are interested in viewing other teacher resources, I'd love to have you visit my teacher's store http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Anna-Navarre .






No comments:

Post a Comment