Thursday, October 20, 2016

Defining and Non-Defining Attributes of Shapes

Defining and Non-defining attributes can be a vague concept for students. The vocabulary alone is a bit tricky, so I created this packet as a resource to help students with this concept. I've used this packet in my classroom for a few years now and have found it very helpful. 

The purchased set includes complete directions on how I use this packet. I won't go into detail here, but basically I use students prior knowledge and informal discussions of shapes and then use the resources in the packet for at least 3-4 lessons in which I talk more formally about attributes.  

Here is kind of what it looks like in the classroom:

First Lessons – I introduce plane shapes by talking about the names of the shapes; the number of sides; the number of corners; how a circle is a shape with zero corners and sides; and how a shape must be closed in order to be a shape. I follow up my discussions with various worksheets (not included). 

Intro: Defining and Non-defining Attribute Lesson – In the next lessons I begin exposing students to the concept of attributes by discussing shapes and what makes a shape a shape. By the time we start this Defining and Non-Defining Attribute packet, students are ready to apply what they have learned. I begin the introduction of defining and non-defining attributes by using the colored sorting activity page and cards as a modeled lesson talking through my sort. 

Subsequent Lessons – I continue my introductory lesson the following day if needed, or at the very least do a quick review before continuing with the student sort. Once I feel that students are ready, I provide them with the student copy of the picture word sort. They are able to complete the sort on their own and then store them in a Ziploc bag. I like students to keep them for a while and use them as a review for a few days. 

Once we are done using the sort in class I have students take it home and share it with their family. It is a really good opportunity for parents to see the type of learning that is going on in the classroom, plus students love doing this. 

Here is a sample of what is included in the packet. It can be purchased from my TpT Store if you are interested. 

Defining and Non-Defining Attributes of a Shape





Here is a YouTube video that shows how I use this packet. 



No comments:

Post a Comment