Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Homemade Playdough Recipe

One thing I have always loved using in my classroom is playdough. I especially like using it on special occasions, such as Halloween or Art Day, but I also like to use it at a center, or even at home with my grandchildren.

There is no doubt that children enjoy using playdough, but some people hesitate to use it. Yes, it can get a bit messy if you are using it on a carpeted area or don't use a work mat, but those are just things to consider before you pull it out.

Using playdough is a great way to have students use their imagination. When we did the ABC Countdown at the end of the year, we had Art Day. I let students use the playdough for sculpturing. On Halloween or Pumpkin Day, students used orange playdough to make jack-o-lanterns. This is always fun, but I also like using playdough for academics. When I taught kindergarten I had students use the playdough to work on their letters. In first grade the students use the playdough for spelling words, Using the playdough for academics still allows students to be a little creative, but the focus is on learning in a fun and unique way.

You may already have your own favorite playdough recipe, but I thought I would provide this one for anyone who might need it. I have used this recipe for at least 15 years and still love it. I hope that you enjoy it as well.

Playdough Recipe

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 and 1/2 cups of salt
3 tablespoons oil
3 teaspoons cream of tartar
3 cups of water
1 package of Kool-Aid

Mix all of the ingredients in a pan over low/medium heat until playdough lumps together. Continue to heat until playdough is no longer sticky. Remove the playdough from the pan and knead it until it is smoothe in texture. Be careful because it may be hot.

I usually make 2 batches of the recipe for 25-30 students. Once the playdough is done I like to store it in a gallon size zip-loc bag until it cools. Then I divide the playdough up and put it in individual sandwich bags for each student. If I am using the playdough as a center activity I just store it in and air tight container.

I hope you have fun with this playdough recipe.

Anna Navarre's TpT Store

No comments:

Post a Comment