Friday, July 18, 2014

Sight Word Mat

I just finished making this sight word mat for my classroom and I thought I would share the idea. I've used these mats for years, but I decided to make this one to go with our new first grade timeline. I’m hoping that my class comes in already knowing these words, but if not, I’ll have the mat ready to go.

When I taught kinder I liked using these mats for letters and sounds, and also for numbers to 30. In first grade I like them more for word family words and sight words. The mats that I normally create are usually a little more creative. I usually have the writing going in different directions and sometimes I make a little boarder around each word, number, or letter. This time I got kind of caught up with the boxes made by the creases in the mat, so I just made it pretty straight forward.

The mat is pretty inexpensive to make. It is just a vinyl table cloth, which is pretty thin and has flannel on the inside. I usually get them from the Dollar Store or at Walmart. Then I write on them with a sharpie. I then use some sort of bean bag. If you don’t have actual bean bags, you can use something else. I use the little beanie babies, because they are cute and I also think it adds to the activity. It is easy to be creative and use anything you want.

These mats make a good center activity. I just lay the mat out on the carpet and provide students with some bean bags. They take turns throwing the bean bag on a word. Then they read and spell it. It is really just a fun and basic way to review the words or whatever else you decide to put on the mat. 



Please feel free to visit Anna Navarre's TpT Teacher's Store


No comments:

Post a Comment